Friday, April 24, 2009

A little late but....

So I know this is a little late but since I consider this kind of our family blog I wanted to post our story about having Kael. What a whirlwind it was. Saturday February 14th started out like any other day, wake up, make breakfast, play with my boys, etc. We enjoyed a lovely romantic dinner of fondue and a nice quiet romantic movie? No it was The Lord of the Rings Return of the King. We went to bed at about 10PM and I was feeling fine. No pains or anything. I woke up at 11pm thinking I needed to go to the bathroom when all of the sudden gush! I wasn't sure what was going on because I was only 36 weeks and I wasn't having any pains so I couldn't be in labor right? Wrong! After about 5 minutes of thinking about it I called to Curtis and said my water had broken. We were both in a little bit of a shock. I wasn't ready for this, the baby's clothes weren't washed, the car seat was still down in the garage, the bed wasn't made, I didn't have a bag packed yet or anything. We called my mom to tell her we thought my water broke so she could be prepared to leave Kentucky just in case. I called L&D and they said to come in. Thankfully our friend Jared was able to come and watch Vance for us so we left for the Hospital, this whole time I am in total shock. I am going over a list of things I didn't get done and Curtis is trying to calm me down. We arrive a little after midnight and get set up in our room. No contractions, not really dilated, baby hasn't dropped so naturally Pit is the answer. Oh great here we go. It took about 3 hours for the contractions to start and there was no progress really at all. Finally at 10am after no progress I decided to get the epidural because the contractions were getting really close together and I didn't want it to become an issue like it was with Vance. I got it put in at about noon and then life was good. I think I slept a little but not much. At about 3pm I started feeling some contractions again so I pushed the little button for more meds. Life was good until about 5pm when the contractions started coming back really strong and the epidural wasn't working. After receiving a bolus of the epidural meds I was still feeling the contractions really strongly. I was really emotional, obviously, and poor little Vance was getting really worried about his mommy. I tried to explain that I was okay but it was really hard to stay calm. At probably 7:15 I asked for the nurse to get the doctor so that they could check to see how I was doing. When the doctor came in and checked we were ready to go. We waited until Dr. Hunter got in, in his Sunday clothes just back from a High Council trip out of town, and then we started to push. This was at about 7:40 and Kael was born at 7:45. Once I was on my back the contractions were so much easier to deal with and it was easy to push him out. He was 2 pounds smaller than Vance so it seemed really easy. He was having problems breathing so they whisked him away after I held him for about 30 seconds. He was in the NICU and doing okay but they kept him overnight to observe him. He has just done great ever since. So there it is, more for me than anyone else but I finally got around to posting it. 

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

Phew what a story! That is a whirlwind! Glad everything worked out. He is just the cutest!

Hans and Holly said...

Hey Sis! It's fun to hear about other women's labor experiences. Especially when there is water breakage involved. Your story is a good reminder to me that I should probably start getting things ready for our baby. We love seeing pictures of the boys and can't wait till we can meet Kael in person.

Love,
Holly